Assessing Chemical Health

The assessment is where you begin. It’s the first step in your personal journey.

Licensed alcohol and drug counselors meet with individuals to assess their use of alcohol or other drugs, and to determine where their use pattern puts them on the continuum of dependency (based on clinical evaluation criteria). The assessment takes between one and two hours to complete and will cover many areas of life including chemical use, treatment history, physical and emotional health, work, recreation, and family/home life. The counselor will also need to contact other individuals that can share important information about your chemical use.

Reasons people get assessments often include:

  • Concern about own use of alcohol or drugs
  • A request from a concerned family member or friend
  • A mandate from an attorney, judge, or probation officer
  • After a situation at work or school

Progress Valley also serves as an access point for Hennepin County Rule 25 assessments for residents meeting both income and clinical eligibility guidelines. Treatment referrals will then be made to qualified individuals demonstrating a need for services.

Chemical use assessments are provided on a no fee basis for eligible Hennepin County residents (Rule 25).  The cost of a chemical use assessment may be covered by your insurance carrier, dependent on your specific plan.  Assessments can also be paid for on a self-pay basis using a money order.  Please contact us to determine if you have coverage and what, if any, financial responsibility that you would have to complete the assessment.

All assessments are confidential and no one will have access to them without your written consent.

Progress Valley is contracted to conduct chemical health assessments for:

  • Hennepin County
  • UCare
  • Medica
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield

To schedule a chemical health assessment or for additional information, contact our Central Access Team for assistance.